Marti served as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This blog is a way for her friends and family to read her emails home, see some pictures, and glimpse Marti's missionary work.


Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I'm old


Birthday party with the Mongolians (Chinzo = 10 and Hna. Oliphant = 22)

Bulgan´s baptism
The building where I live here in Valencia

 
Hola,

I remember talking with Hermana Henderson and Hermana Grant about how the longer you´re in the mission the more worn out you get (and the greater your appreciation for elevators... instead of having to take the stairs)... well, I was feeling old this week. Yesterday was the first day of my 9th transfer (since we measure time in ¨transfers¨ in the mission... 1 transfer= 6 weeks), and I was sad that my time left is getting shorter and shorter. But let´s not talk about it, okay? We´re just going to pretend that the mission never ends.

Good news this week:

I stayed in Valencia with Hermana Oliphant! I love Valencia and I love being able to stay in one place a long time. We continue to see miracles. We´ve been teaching Bulgan´s children and they´re super smart. (Hermana Grant- we played your jumping game for lesson 3 and they loved it muchisimo!) We taught them what prophets do like this: before the lesson we hid a bag of chuches (uh... candies) in this park where we knew we would be teaching them. When we got to the part of explaining what prophets do we told them, ¨There´s something tasty hiden somewhere near here... and you have 1 minute to find it if you can. Go!¨ They ran around like crazy looking in all of the bushes and things while we sat and laughed with Bulgan for a minute. Then we told Bulgan where we had hidden the chuches and she told them... it still took a few tries for them to get it right, but they said in the end, ¨So, the prophets tell us where to find the good stuff from God.¨ Exactly! I love kids.

There was a broadcast stake conference on Sunday for all of Spain and Portugal. It was so good. 2 members of the first quorum of the 70 spoke a member of the Primary General Presidency and Elder Nelson of the 12. They talked a ton about the family and Elder Nelson pronounced a beautiful apostolic blessing on all of the people of the Iberian peninsula. I don´t remember all of the blessing right now because I don´t have my notes with me from the conference, but I loved it.

And the sad news:

As Hermana (Melanie) Grant was saying, there are 4 Hermanas going home this transfer and we´re only getting one new one. There was a trio in Zaragoza last transfer so President had to chose 1 hermana area to close... and the time finally came to close my beloved Palma. There are now no Hermanas in the islands... well, that´s not entirely true, since they put a senior couple of missionaries in Inca...but it looks like I won´t be returning to Palma to finish my mission like I wanted to. It was a small area and it will be easy for the Elders to take over it... but I loved it there and I´m sad that it´s closed.

Well family (and friends), I´m going to close for now. I love you all. I´m so glad to be a missionary and to be serving in the Lord´s work. I read several times in my studies this morning that all we have to do is obey the commandments and we will be well. I know it´s true because I feel it. It´s so clear to me now, and I wish everyone could understand it. Be good. Take care of each other. I loved the pictures of Eliza´s birthday, Charlie´s mismatched shoes, and Cai in the dog food bag (he´s getting so tall!). Give those neices and nephews kisses from me.

Love,

Hermana Diehl

1 comment:

Cheris said...

Tell Hermana Diehl that I love her so much. This is Hermana Henderson, her first companion. She is such an awesome missionary!! What a honor it was to serve with her, I only wish I could have been there longer. I remember laughing so hard I cried. She has such an amazing smile and a contagious laugh. She is a miracle worker. She came out the first day speaking like a pro even though she didn't believe it. She taught me so much about oragnization that I'm stil trying to apply!! I miss her so much. If it's okay with all I want to come to Arizona in the summer and give her the fattest hug ever. Thanks for sending me your angel!!
PS- I knew she would understand about the elevators vs stairs all too soon.