Marti served as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This blog is a way for her friends and family to read her emails home, see some pictures, and glimpse Marti's missionary work.


Monday, December 14, 2009

Navidad Blanca

Hace frio!


My fingers are numb as I type this, so don´t expect a long letter today. I am inside, but this locutorio doesn´t appear to have heating and it´s raining and windy today... cold, cold, cold. But no snow. My mission theme for this month is White Christmas or Navidad Blanca, so we will have a white Christmas of baptisms (clever huh? White baptism clothing) since we probably won´t be seeing any snow.


I had a good week in that we had a great baptism on Saturday with one of our investigators and one from the Elders´ (that used to be mine) getting baptized. It was a bi-lingual baptism again and I was translating. It was good. The Elders and Hermana Oliphant and I sang ¨Be Still My Soul¨ acapela and it was pretty (not because of me, because of Hna. Oliphant and Elder Jensen who can sing parts). I love baptisms. We have another one this Saturday as well. One of our investigators and 3 of the Elders (also people I used to teach... I sound so vain don´t I? I don´t mean to, I´m just pointing out how blessed this area is and how blessed I´ve been since being here with prepared people to teach.) I love the gospel.


Any of you who are observant may have been asking, Why didn´t Hermana Church sing in the baptism with everyone else? And the answer would be that on Thursday night we got a call from President Hinckley and he emergency transferred her to Barcelona to be companions with an Hermana who is from Chile who was waiting several months for her visa to come through to be able to enter Spain... I don´t remember her name, but she´s the first Chilean to serve in Spain... or at least the first Chilean hermana... I´ll have to find out. I´m so excited to have another native speaker in the mission and I hope I can be companions with her sometime! I miss Hna. Church though. She is a great missionary and we had a lot of fun together.


Tomorrow we have the Christmas conference and I get to go to Elche (I´ve never been there before). You´ll probably hear about it all first on the mission blog, but I´ll let you know next week how it goes.


I´m gonna have to know what you want me to do for calling home on Christmas day. I think it´s 8 hour difference? Or 9? I don´t remember. I can buy a phone card like on Mother´s day since they´re so cheap here.


Alrighty, I love you all and I am trying to work hard and do what my Heavenly Father wants me to. I pray for you everyday mi querida familia.


Con amor,
Hermana Diehl


p.s. sorry I didn´t attach a picture of the baptism. I chose poorly in the computer I am using today and the USB ports are all destroyed. Just imagine 4 really white missionaries and 3 quite black men and you´ll be seeing the picture I wanted to send you.

No comments: