Marti served as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This blog is a way for her friends and family to read her emails home, see some pictures, and glimpse Marti's missionary work.


Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving week

Hola Familia Mia,


It´s Thanksgiving week! Here´s the story: several weeks ago all of us missionaries in Valencia were invited to a Thanksgiving dinner at one of the American Family´s houses (the Strodes). Brother Strode is in the military and they apparently have a rather large house, so they wanted to have a big Thanksgiving party and invite some of the Americans that are living in the area. So that includes the other American family in the ward (the Dixons- who are living here just because they can and they wanted to have a foreign adventure), and a family from the military that brother Strode knows who aren´t members of our church (but possibly could be soon!), and, of course, all of the missionaries. So we had this lovely party to look forward to with things from America (the military base stocks everything you need apparently) and then last week President Hinckley anounced that the Valencia zone, the Elche zone, and the Murcia zone will be having a combined zone conference in Valencia with Elder Kopischke on Thanksgiving... boo! So I called to tell Sister Strode and talk to her a bit to see if we could come by after the conference to eat some left overs or something and she said that would be fine and it was okay with her if we brought a couple of extra missionaries (the Benidorm hermanas and the ayudantes are staying the night here for another meeting the next day with Elder Kopischke in Valencia). And so I called Elder Lee (the Ayudante) and told him I had an excellent eating cita to take him to and asked him to find out if we could play some soccer while we were there maybe. He called me back and said he was talking to President about it and President wants to come and bring Hermana Hickley and Elder Kopischke along for Thanksgiving and they asked me to call sister Strode and find out if it was okay if they came too. I laughed so hard and called sister Strode... who laughed really hard. So, we are all having a huge party with the mission president and the 70. I´ll let you know how it goes.


Thanks so much for the packages Mom, Erin, and Colin! I got them all last Tuesday when Elder Jensen showed up from the office (he hauled them all here in one of his suitcases for me... it was really nice of him so I gave him one of the jerkey packages). I loved it all and I love you all. Thanks for making my November great! I´ll have to think a bit more for Christmas stuff I want...


Love,
Hermana Diehl

4 comments:

ALYN said...

Sounds like an interesting way to end up hosting the mission president and a general authority for Thanksgiving!

Who is Colin?

I think she'd better think fast about her Christmas wishes, if she wants them to arrive before Christmas!

Kori said...

I was just wondering the same thing. Who is Colin?

Unknown said...

My guess: it is Colin Blair.

Erin said...

Marti had me send an e-mail to everyone in her contact list of her e-mail. A couple of her friends (including Colin Blair) e-mailed back wanting her e-mail and Colin also wanted to know what music he could send. Marti wrote him a couple of times on his mission and he was feeling bad he hadn't written her more.