Marti served as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This blog is a way for her friends and family to read her emails home, see some pictures, and glimpse Marti's missionary work.


Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Valencia!!!

Woah Mi Familia [My Family]!

I am sitting in a locutorio [internet cafe] in Valencia. I have sat in this locutorio before because I came here with Hermana Grant (and the rest of the Palma zone) for the Waddell´s last conference. But now I am sitting here after dropping all of my stuff off in my new GRANDE piso [BIG apartment]... because I live here now. The piso [apartment] in Palma really is the smallest in the mission, and I don´t think the Valencia piso [apartment] is the biggest in the mission- but it is meant for 4 hermanas, so there are 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms... and way too much ¨piso trash¨['apartment trash']. Don´t you worry I´m gonna take care of it pronto [soon].

On Sunday night my district leader called us and told us that the transfers were the most boring he´d ever heard. There was only one person leaving and it was Elder Reynolds from Manacor (we knew he was leaving earlier in the day for some reason... no puedo explicar, porque no entiendo como [I can't explain, because I don't understand how]). He asked me how I felt to be starting my 6th transfer in Palma, and I said ¨Good. I really am never leaving.¨ And I don´t remember what he said next, but something to the effect of ¨Well, I hope you´ll be happy in Valencia because that´s where you´re actually going!¨ I yelled real loud... something about why did he feel he had to lie to me every transfer... I don´t really remember that part either. It´s true the elders love to tell the hermanas lies when they call us with the transfer news. Pero bueno [But oh well]. He told me I needed to call the President´s secretary to find out the flight information, but to wait until tomorrow because he was really busy that night.

The next morning (Monday) I called and was informed that I had to fly out in six hours.... I was quite surprised because usually we fly out on Tuesday. So I called the other 2 elders that were leaving to see if they knew (they didn´t...) and then arranged for someone to take us to the airport and to be Hermana Bentley´s companion until her new companion arrives. I was pretty sad because I had planned on saying good-bye to a whole bunch of members that day and I only got to visit 2 people. One of them was Maria and she had written a letter for me and letters to give to Kori and Cody (I´ll get them in the mail soon I promise). She cried and it made me want to cry. I don´t know how to leave an area! I don´t know how to enter a new area! I´m so inexperienced! But my new companion (Hermana Church from Fresno, CA) has got some great ideas and we´re going to do our best. This area is booming in baptisms right now. Hermana Church started her mission here (she´s starting her 3rd transfer right now) and in her 2 transfers she´s had 5 baptisms! Wow. I´m so excited. I just hope I don´t ruin anything... luckily it´s in the hands of the Lord right? I´m gonna do my best.

I loved conference. I had written some questions I wanted to ponder during the conference and I found a whole bunch of answers in the very first 2 or 3 talks. It was amazing. We ALL need to be better missionaries, no? :-) I´m workin´ on it.

I liked the great blog entries. Lots of cuties again.

Hey, here is the address to the blog that President and Hermana Hinckley have for the mission in case you don´t have it:
thespainbarcelonamission.blogspot.com

I think they emailed the address to everyone´s parents... but nobody said anything, so I assumed you didn´t have it.

I have so much more I want to write but I have so much to do!
I love you all (and I love to tell you like Elder Bednar told us to!)

Hermana Diehl

3 comments:

Melanie said...

woo-hoo!! I love VALENCIA! (that's where I started) It's an amazing place!! I can't wait to hear about Nice, Barbara, and Tania!!!

-Hna Grant

ALYN said...

I updated the maps on the side. Zoom in to see the street view of the chapels. Also take a look at the satellite view of the center city and the docks.

ALYN said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valencia,_Spain

Wikipedia entry on Valencia. 810,000 people. 3rd largest city in Spain.

By regular sound changes, this has become Valencia (/ba'lenθja/) in Spanish [8] and València (/va'ɫɛnsia/) in Valencian/Catalan. The Valencian pronunciation in the local dialect (in Valencian) is /ba'ɫensia/.

There's some old architecture. And some great modern stuff. Check it out.